Monday, June 18, 2007

Birthday Ambivalence

It's my birthday today and it is odd celebrating so far from home. I should preface this by noting that I think I have had some kind of party / get together every single year of my life. I didn't want to make a production out of it, forcing people who just met me to feel obligated to celebrate me, and I don't to reveal my age at work, so it was an intimate dinner with Jodi and Kai in Surry Hills with a 'surprise outing' to come (Josh makes everything a 'surprise', even the Sunday paper).

I think this weekend was the first weekend that Josh and I felt a bit homesick. More accurately, 'friends and family'-sick. We don't miss the United States (except for the luxurious customer service that every business offers), we miss people. It's sad to not talk to my parents on my birthday. It's hard keeping in touch with all the friends that you love. I predict that it's going to be very difficult to leave Sydney in a couple years, but we're going to be ready to.

It is nice to have a birthday on the first weekend in Sydney that we're relatively settled in as an engaged couple. This birthday came at the perfect time for me to reflect at how exciting and positive the last year has been.

Happy birthday, Paul McCartney.

1 comment:

Quinn said...

Happy birthday! Glad to hear you guys are relatively settled in. I've only met one of my new neighbors and he was a meek, kind of creepy guy asking me to turn my stereo down. Not encouraging. You guys had me spoiled.